AREA-Attendance, retention, engagement and achievement
CET is funding the delivery of a programme, over four years, that addresses the two transitions that occur from Year 6-9 with the aim to see a positive shift in attendance, retention, engagement and achievement in a cohort of students from about 25 whanau identified at risk of disengaging from school. A coordinator works intensively with students and whanau. Lessons to date, covering the Covid lockdown period are:
- Overall, the AREA students overcame the obstacles caused by the Lockdown
- Some struggled to cope with the unstructured nature of home learning
- Being able to communicate with friends and family online using Zoom, Google Meetings, face time etc. was best for students: parents/caregivers preferred daily phone calls
- Daily online catch ups with friends and classmates was key in maintaining the emotional well being of students.
- Coordinator provided PD on practical ways to emotionally engage students after Lockdown
- Full impact yet to be seen. These are students already with attendance and engagement issues and last year had very supportive and structured conditions
From the original cohort of fourteen students there are still eleven attending school-two left the area and one student left school to start attending alternative education.
Contact :Iain Taylor Principal MIS firstname.lastname@example.org>